♦ Meerhof was owned the Kotze Family Trust. lt was bought in 1961 as a wheat and sheep farm. The first vines were planted on Meerhof in 1751 by Kotze’s ancestors, and until 2000, the few grapes that grew here were delivered to Riebeek Cellars, but then Cobus decided to realise his dream and turn the estate into a wine farm, producing its own range of wines.
♦ In 2001 a site with stunning panoramic views over the valley was chosen for Meerhof’s main cellar, carefully designed with a partial underground area for gentle cooling. In Oct 2017 the farm was bought by Koos and Erik Jansen van Rensburg. Meerhof now has a 700 ton production capacity.
♦ Grapes are sourced from vineyards predominantly in the Swartland region from the Fairtrade farm Rheeboksfontein. These are trellised vineyards and grow on shale and quartz soil with a bit of red oak leaves. The vineyards are meticulously farmed and yields are managed down to below 8 tons per hectare. Harvesting takes place between Mid February and mid-March.
♦ After 40 years in the Highveld farming maize and game, Koos van Rensburg and his son Erik moved to the Swartland four years ago to cultivate grapes at Rheeboksfontein. It was here they made the acquaintance of Jaco Brand and soon a relationship of mutual trust and respect was established.
♦ The van Rensburg’s relied on Jaco’s lifelong expertise and keen eye for quality before taking the plunge.Jaco Brand, is the accomplished winemaker of Meerhof Wines and has a deep understanding of the local climate and expert knowledge of cellaring and blending.
♦ In the Last 3 Months Meerhof has achieved Amazing accolades and has received several Beautiful Awards :
- Michelangelo Double Gold Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
- Michelangelo Gold Shiraz 2018
- Winemag 90 score Chardonnay 2018
- Veritas Gold Pinotage
- Veritas Silver Outstanding Strawwine 2019
- Veitas Silver Outstanding Premium Grenache Rose 2019
- Veritas Silver Outstanding Premium Shiraz/Grenache 2018
- Veritas Silver Outstanding Arbeidsgenot Grenache Noir
- Veritas Silver Chardonnay 2018
- Veritas Bronze Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
- Veritas Bronze Arbeidsgenot Shiraz 2018
- Veritas Bronze Meerhof Grenache Rose 2019
- Veritas Bronze Premium White Blend